Re: Computer Interfaces in the Physics Lab

John Gastineau, and those he quoted (Sokoloff, Thornton,
Laws, and Beichner) do the best they can to demonstrate
how good computer-based labs can be. But what is needed
now is a comparison of new methods of teaching with the
old methods. A dedicated good teacher will outperform
bad teachers by any method.

Is there a convincing evidence (from our Physics Education
Research groups, or from anybody else) that under identical
and realistic conditions computer-based labs are more effective
than traditional labs in physics? I never saw one.
Ludwik Kowalski

John Gastineau wrote:

It seems we have collectively addressed this topic every six or eight months
for as long as I've been a part of phys-l--and that means 12 or 14 years.

I want to raise some larger issues before this discussion goes too far.

1. This topic is well covered in the literature. There is very strong
evidence for the effectiveness of computer data collection; consult most
anything written in the last ten years by Sokoloff, Thornton, Laws, or
Beichner. Without considering educational experiments, we are only
throwing around opinions that are often not well founded.

1a. We must guard against what I like to call the
"My-opinion-is-better-than-your-research" dismissal of educational
experiments. This is a popular technique of both extreme conservatives
and extreme liberals. ....