Re: Computer Interfaces in the Physics Lab

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I am concerned that physics educators are feeling pressure to computerize
for the sake of computerizing. When I ask my professors why we need the
computer to do "Ohm's Law", I do not get answers based on physics or
pedagogy, but rather on apperances. "Other schools are doing it this way",
or "the students expect to see computers in today's labs. They consider us
backwards if they are not there."

Now, I think computers have a place in these labs. Computers are
especially
useful to collect and analyze big repetitive data sets, and using a spread
sheet to analyze such data is good experience for students in a wide range
of fields. But I really DON'T see many other educational advantages. And
they often violate my KISS philosophy, which I feel is the cornerstone to
good science.

I have espoused this point of view whenever the issue comes up in my high
school. I encourage you to do the simple ones ( Ohm's Law) in the KISS
mode and use the computer when it is truly the best tool ( timing fast
motions, forces in collisions, time constants for RC circuits etc.)

Just my humble opinion. I still believe kids should not be given
caluclators before their 17th birthdays. The contribute to cranial
atrophy! I also love to stand in the way of freight trains ;-) !!!

Ken Fox
AP/IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School
Aurora, CO