Re: Glacier Color

Leigh Palmer wrote:

I doubt that copper is responsible for the blue color of lakes in BC.
While copper is certainly found in BC, and while at locations where
it is found, some does dissolve in groundwater, most blue lakes are
relatively pure water. I don't know why lakes or glacier cravasses

I haven't suspected that any blue lakes are colored by copper, in fact I
stated the opposite. My speculation that BC's green lakes are related
to copper is supported by
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/peace/points_of_interest/alask2.htm
which names copper oxides as the coloring agent of jade green lakes
under "Muncho Lake Provincial Park". While this isn't exactly Phys Rev,
it does provide me some consolation that I'm not the only person to
arrive at this possibility. I have no particular emotional stake in
this, as far as I'm concerned if I'm shown that all green lakes are
coloured by algae blooms then the sun will still rise in the northeast
and set in the northwest (at least for a few more weeks :-/).

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html