Re: The color of snow

Leigh, I was inspired by your description of the wonders of physics to be
found in a new environment. It represented to me my goal as a high
school physics teacher. More than any other goal, I want to produce
students who, after exiting my class, notice things like those you
describe in the world around them. Then if they are lucky and properly
inspired I hope they will wonder about the cause of such things. Finally
if I have done my job perhaps they will have the tools to actually begin
to understand the workings of nature. I am not trying to train future
scientists and engineers. I am trying to teach people how to live well.
Your description below represents an important ingredient in a life well
lived.

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Winter was a marvelous
new world for this lifetime Californian when I emigrated from
Berkeley to British Columbia at the age of 31. There is all sorts
of new physics to be experienced! Ice worms extruded from the soil.
Spikes growing out of tubs of water. The chirp of the hockey stick
slapped on the ice 100 meters away on the lake. The anechoic nature
of a fluffy snowfall. The fairyland of iced trees in the morning
light. Many colorful atmospheric halo displays. The aurora. Etc.

Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think. -- Niels Bohr