Re: Glacier Color

This has been an interesting discussion, even if we are going overboard. I
especially like Daniel's description of scattering. Hecht argues that
reflection and refraction are just a combination of scattering and
interference.

Gary

I agree, and feel this discussion that should culminate in someone writing an
article or note to _the physics teacher_. Right now the standard answer to
"Why is the sky blue?" is "Rayleigh scattering!" which is completely devoid
of meaning. These discussions are much clearer than any I have seen to date.

If someone wants to write this one up, I am willing to be a co-author if
needed, but would also welcome a chance to abstain in favour of those who
initiated the conversation.

Dan M

PS -- Leigh, I spent some time on Galiano I. several years back, once anchoring
a CNC30 in the small bay in front of Dr. David Bateson's home there. He used
reverse osmosis to make his drinking water from sea water there, and took
the ferry to work at UBC. A very nifty place indeed.

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner