Re: I would have been a botanist

What Rutherford had in mind, I assume, was that only
physics tries to explain; others are only describing and
categorizing.

He was probably saying that chemistry can not be explained
without physics (because chemistry is physics plus other
things) and biology can not be explained without chemistry
(because biology is chemistry plus other things). This point
of view was recently mentioned in the "physics first" thread.
Ludwik Kowalski

Referring to: >"All physics is either physics or stamp collecting."

Larry Smith wrote:

I don't get it. Isn't all literature either literature or stamp
collecting? Isn't all religion either religion or stamp
collecting? Isn't all art either art or stamp collecting?