Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

Herb, of course is right and I agree, but he stops short of saying that
women and men are different animals - Mars/Venus etc -- I know that PCnes
doesn't allow one to say this out loud and has, I suspect, constrained
Herb, but it is nonetheless at the hub of this thread. The remaining
question might be whether women's brains are wired differently from men's
and whether the teaching and practice of physics can benefit from those
differences.

They probably can, but recruit????

On the other hand (as I have said before) I would feel far more comfortable
with a woman as captain of a carrier or task force that a man because I
suspect that her wiring is more suited to the task -- but I would assign
two strong men to watch over her on the bridge in case of emergency. (Sorry
Margaret)

But recruit for physics?? I still wonder.

Jim Green

PS OK I said that I would be through with this thread -- I lied.

Herb:
I stated that there appear to be differences in the ways that men and
women think. Some of these differences are probably due to the initial
training of children in most of the cultures of the world. In addition to
physical differences, think about other known major differences between
men and women. I'm sure that you are aware of the hormones that exist in
different quantities and erupt at different times. Don't these have
effects on thinking as well as physical processes?

I'm reminded of the musical show "My Fair Lady" when Richard Burton is
tormented by the way that women think and comes out with the song, "Why
can't a woman act like a man ?"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we cherish differences instead of claiming that they do not exist)

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen