Re: Recom on Mathcad/Mathematica

Ivan,
For the last eight years I have used Mathcad in my freshman calculus
physics course. I like it because it is easy for the students to learn and
reenforces the calculus symbolism that they are learning concurrently. We
use it physic lab, and the ability to import data from the experiment
directly into program is a feature we constantly use. This is not one of
Mathcads strong points but it does work, and lets our students work with
large arrays of data and get meaningful statistics.
I have done only one project with Mathematica and was impressed with its
power. I did this a number of years ago and don't own a copy which is why I
only used it that one time. At that time it was not straightforward to use,
i.e you wrote a "program" and it would display the result when you "ran"
it, unlike Mathcad's pallets of icons that allow you to straightforwardly
set up your equations. I really dislike the necessity of learning a new
language to set my problems.
This year all our freshmen are being "given" a laptop PC machines. Last
spring engineering, mathematics and ourselves discussed what programs we
wanted to give our students to avoid competing with each other. The
engineers wanted to use Matlab, but again the math and physics dept felt it
was far to big a step for our freshman. The engineers feel that Matlab is
an industrial standard where as none of them uses Mathcad. The math
department in the past has used Maple (a Mathematica look a like) in their
upper division classes.
This fall we have a campus wide licence for Mathcad with the calculus math
class and physics using it in our introductory courses. We will see how it
works. Previously in physics, we only had it available in the labs so it
was hard to assign students homework problems using it. A real teller for
my on student use was that students after they finished my class were
asking to use Mathcad to solve problems in their other classes.
The weak point of Mathcad is that it is not a "great" symbolic manipulator
and is not the "standard" for symbolic or calculation of models, rolls
that currently seem to be held by Mathecatica and Matlab. In my own work in
recent years, Mathcad has been more then adequate,but if you do complex
math, it can have some real limitation. For me Mathcad seems to occupies
niche of being a compromise between the two types of problems and like all
compromises is not optimized for symbolic or the manipulation of data sets...

Gary