Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

At 10:28 24 08 2000 , you wrote:
While the 'science' itself may be gender neutral, how that science is done
and how that science is taught can definitely have gender components. Male
dominated research institutions tend to have a masculine 'political
structure' that can impede the recognition/retention/promotion of those who
don't fit the mold. There seems to be enough gender differences in learning
styles that we need to be concerned with instructional techniques that are
too narrowly aimed at particular styles which may put either women or men at
a disadvantage. So the gender issues are not in the Physics, but in the
doing and teaching of physics.

Oh, I see. Again we are concerned about faculty job retention.

Or is it being said that women do physics teaching and/or research and/or
administration differently from men?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen