Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

If we don't make attempts to include traditionally underrepresented groups
in high tech and science related fields, we deprive ourselves of their skills
in what is already an extremely tight labour market for such people. We
also lose their very different insights and contributions to our fields,
which will be poorer without them. Very soon the majority of Americans will
be ethnically different from the majority of physics faculty, which will not
help our somewhat estranged present status at all.

See NSF96-139, Shaping the Future: New expectations for undergraduate
education in SMET, p28:

'Unless SMET education is far more inclusive than it has been in the past,
we will be denying ourselves as a scociety the talents of the majority of
our population.'

This report is also on the web somewhere on the NSF site, I'm sure...

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner

Sure beats low-skill, low wage careers...

Mark
http://www.IrascibleProfessor.com