Derivations

I'm not a stuffy about derivations for the following reasons: first,
I remember how much trouble I had with them as a student, usually
ending up just memorizing them.

It is not clear to me just what this thread re derivations is all
about. Just which derivations are being done or not done here? Are we
talking about Newton, Kirchoff, Faraday, Maxwell, Einstein? What is so
difficult to talk about in a discussion and maybe a few scratches on the
board??

The idea of work absolutely must be derived but that takes only two lines
on the board if they can't see it in their heads with out that. OK maybe a
few lines for rotational dynamics. A few lines for vectors. What is so
problematic???

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen