Re: Extra Credit (was Where Have All the Boys Gone?)

Hi all-

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Joel Rauber wrote, in part:

Dan & Jim & Others,

Derivations are a bit of a hot-button issue for me. I believe that one
shouldn't have students do tasks for which they won't be made possibly
responsible for later. Derivations are a good example of this (whether
done
as part of lectures or in some sort of active engagement method),...

I couldn't agree more enthusiastically. Those of you who have
looked at the excerpts from my calculus text will note that every
derivation is given either as:
1. an example to be followed in exercises; or
2. an exercise; the exercise then leads the student
through the derivation.
Regards,
Jack