Re: Hearing Light?

From: Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

I have not tried this yet, but I will. My first guess is that the
blackened
membrane itself heats/cools and therefore moves from expansion contraction
(rather than the enclosed air heating/cooling).

That sounds reasonable to me. There would have to be a time lag before the
air inside could respond. I'm still surprised that the black plastic
responds so quickly.

The pickle jar cannot
appreciably do this because the glass is too thick and rigid. I continue
having difficulty believing the air near a blackened surface can heat/cool
fast enough to respond sufficiently to a small 120-Hz fluctuation in
radiant
energy.
I will also try the following if you have not... does a clear or white
stethoscope membrane produce the hum?

I tried white paper (slightly less stiff than the original black plastic)
and clear plastic transparency material. No observable hum in either case.

Br. Robert W. Harris
Catholic Memorial High School
rwharris@cath-mem.org
http://www.cmphysics.org

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323
Chairman, Science Department E-Mail
edmiston@bluffton.edu
Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817

Bringing the black membrane of a stethoscope very close to a 7.5 W
incandescent bulb produced a quite distinct hum in the stethoscope, which
surprised me. Moving the stethoscope away, or shielding it with a piece of
paper proved that the hum was due to the flickering of the bulb.

I'll have to buy a jar of pickles.

I wonder if the stethoscope is a better "matching transformer" than the
tube
you were using???