Re: Air Track Ultrasonic

The problem you describe is more often due to reflections coming from other
things in the neighborhood. Typically the glider is low to the track so the
sensor is down there too. Try a pylon of some sort on the glider so that
you can elevate the probe. A dime on the pylon should give you sufficient
reflection. In practice, the first thing that provides a reflection will
shut down the timing. As a glider moves along, different parts of it are
apt to be the reflection point of choice depending on the actual
orientation of the lobe coming from the probe. A little playing around,
moving the glider by hand, usually yields a solution. I regard any
ultrasonic whistling by the air track as urban myth/legend, even out here
in the sticks.

Tom Ford