Re: Graph Plotting - Reprise

One can write your own program to save $. Here is a file
(f.dat) with data; it can be as long as desired. My program
is for a case when y are always positive; it knows that y=-1
is the end of data mark (not to be counted as data item).

27.5
24.1
22.3
19.1
14.8
11.9
12.7
18.4
27.8
29.9
32.6
48.3
-1
My listing, in True Basic, can easilly be be translated into
another language, for example, Fortran or Pascal. The
output looks like from a chart recorder. One can spend
more time to make the output more "professional" if desired.
In True Basic line comments begin after the !

PROGRAM Chart_recorder
!************************
open #1: name "f.dat", create old ! file with y data
let ymax=-9e99 ! minus "infinity"
let i=0
do
input #1:y
if y<0 then exit do ! end of data
let i=i+1 ! counting data items
if y>ymax then let ymax=y ! and searching for maximum
loop
print "------------------------------------------------------------>"
reset #1:begin ! "rewind the tape"
for j=1 to i ! chart all data items
input #1:y
let y_chart=72*(y/ymax) ! chart coordinate
for k=0 to y_chart
print"*"; ! string of asterisks
next k
print ! go to next data item
next j
close #1
end

Jim Green wrote:

OK, Brian, but all I really need is strip chart recorder software
so I can take a large set of data and plot it on a scatter graph ...
But $1300 is too much for elegance.