Gravitational astronomy

Subject: Re: The Universe
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:00:45 -0500
From: Gary Karshner <Karshner@STMARYTX.EDU>

Observationally we know there is a limit to how far
we can see. The three degree background radiation sets that limit. It comes
from a time when the universe became transparent, further than that cannot
be seen since radiation swamps out any information. This physical
limitation makes the number of galaxies uncountable physically.

I agree that the microwave background sets an observational limit for
photon astronomy, but what about gravitational radiation? Isn't it
possible, if only in principle, to use the gravitational waves emitted
before the recombination time, when the universe became transparent to
photons, to study the structure of the early universe?

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
St. Charles County Community College
St. Peters, MO
gcarlson@mail.win.org