Subject: Re: A question about mirrors
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:39:38 -0400
From: Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

Likewise, spinning or revolving astronomical
objects have specific angular momentums. If that is true, then don't we
just have to agree upon a common vantage point from which both observers
view these?

This is not true, is it? If I look at the earth from above the north
pole, I see it rotating counterclockwise. But, if I look at the earth
from above the south pole, I see it rotating clockwise.

Thus, if we are to use rotating or revolving astronomical objects as
our reference, we still have to agree on a location from which to
observe the motion. That angular momentum has a specific direction is
a consequence of our agreement to adopt the "right hand rule," which
just brings us back to where we started.

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
St. Charles County Community College
St. Peters, MO
gcarlson@mail.win.org