Re: A question about mirrors

From: Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>

I'm still not clear on what you are asking, so let's see if we
can rephrase the question:
You are asking about the possible transformations of an object
(rotations, translations, etc.). But I'm not clear on what it is that
you are willing to keep constant. If it is the size and shape of the
object, then the answer to your guestion is (to indulge in name-dropping)
the group of orthogonal transformations - these are the transformations
that, when infinitesimal, preserve something called the "metric".
I am asking specifically about the transformation that reverses
handedness (or orientation). It may be isometric, but I read in one of
Martin Gardner's books that it is impossible to transform a Moebius strip
into its mirror image by any continuous deformation. Actually my primary
query was regarding a definition of 'handedness' independent of both
specific examples and mirrors. The fact there are only two objects of
opposite handedness and that a single reflection may turn one into the
other, would then follow immediately from this.

Re my last message: are you asking how to communicate "handedness" to
beings on another planet?
No. I actually asked, how aliens who had never seen a mirror
would explain both the difference and similarity between say, a right and
left helix. Or (assuming they are super-intelligent) how would they, on
seeing an asymetrical object for the first time, would deduce that it had
one and only one counterpart (again lacking a mirror).

Regards,
Abhishek