Re: hands-on gauge transformations

Hi all-
So John's implicit question is: What is the definition of
"gauge transformation"?
The question took me back to Wentzel's <Quantum Theory of
Fields>. "Gauge transformations" were apparently introduced by Pauli,
Phys. Rev. 58, 716 (1940), and originate with phase transformations
of spinor fields in Quantum Mechanics. The phase transformations
induce transformations of the vector potentials that correspond to
the electromagnetic fields.
So unless someone can show that Pauli cites an earlier and
more restrictive use of the term, I will persist in my use of
"like a gauge transformation."
Regards,
Jack