Voltaic Pile of Confusion

I have been reading an account of Volta's reasoning for creating a pile and
I don't think it is quite right (this is not Volta's reasoning but the
author's interpretation of it). If one cell genterates a given current,
then several cells connected in series would produce a larger current under
the same conditions. I would think this should read voltage, rather than
current. The current would remain fixed but it would be more energetic.
What do y'all think?

I have another similar question. What is the best way to view how the
electrons all achieve a specific voltage in an arrangement where x batteries
are hooked up in series. In other words, how is an electron produce in one
battery affected by the presence of another battery?

Thank you in advance.
Tom McCarthy

Saint Edward's School
1895 Saint Edward's Drive