Re: e-mail post office charge?

My daughter forwarded me the following that concerns the rumor Bob refers to. It seems it is just another urban legend-type non event.
Rondo Jeffery
Weber State University
Ogden, UT 84408
rjeffery@weber.edu

Fwd:
http://www.usps.gov/news/press/99/99045new.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 21, 1999
Release No. 45

E-MAIL RUMOR COMPLETELY UNTRUE

WASHINGTON - A completely false rumor concerning the U.S. Postal Service is
being circulated on Internet e-mail. As a matter of fact, the Postal Service
has learned that a similar hoax occurred recently in Canada concerning
Canada Post.

The e-mail message claims that a "Congressman Schnell" has introduced "Bill 602P" to allow the federal government to impose a 5-cent surcharge on each e-mail message delivered over the Internet. The money would be collected by Internet Service Providers and then turned over to the Postal Service.

No such proposed legislation exists. In fact, no "Congressman Schnell"
exists.

The U.S. Postal Service has no authority to surcharge e-mail messages sent
over the Internet, nor would it support such legislation.

Re:
trebor@VELOCITY.NET 07/28/00 10:28AM >>>
I am forwarding the following. Can anyone confirm whether this is for
real, or a sick joke?

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor

VOTE NO ON Bill 602P!!!!

I guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per
E-mail Sent. It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was
coming!! Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government
to charge a 5-cent charge on every delivered E-mail.

<snip>