Re: Phys-l: Request for Experienced Physics Teacher Advice andContribution

Herb's comment below always reminds me of another example of how fortunate we were to have the Soviet Union. I was a Junior at UCSB when the first Sputnik attained orbit. The fresh class doubled the
following year and one of the students in the first grad degree class was tapped to help teach. Soon there was Apollo, PSCC, etc. Pray for a new Soviet Union.

bc

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

1. What advice would you give for professional development to a
first year physics teacher?
2. What are the best resources that you would recommend to a first

discuss topics in their field of
interest. However in most high schools, there is rarely more than one
physics teacher and he/she is too busy preparing lessons, labs, and demos
to discuss professional matters with anyone else in the school.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where most high schools have one or less physics teachers now and the
number goes lower and lower each year)