More on superluminal light

Hi All:

The AIP update I received today describes the superluminal light (as some
on this list have noted) as an inteference phenomenon -having to do with the
difference between phase and group velocity.

Now, my interpretation of the uncertainty principle applied to photons is
that the narrower a pulse, the greater the range of frequencies that have to
form it - that is, the greater the momentum.

Therefore, if we think in terms of individual photons, is it fair to say
that the existence of superluminal light is a consequence of the uncertainty
principle?

I hope to actually meet some of you at Guelph.

Ed Schweber