Re: Another sick computer monitor

More likely dust will lead to an "open" instead of a short. Or rather the presence of dust indicates the likely hood of contamination of the contacts leading to an oxide or other insulating film.
Removal and replacing the plug may break the film and restore connection. Does your computer live(s) in a humid (especially salty humid) area? I swear by cramoline for film removal and prevention.

bc

Doug Craigen wrote:

Thank you for the replies I received on this. I am presently unable to
say what the source was because the problem has gone away again before I
could fix it. Its been a day now with perfect color again.
Intermittent problems can drive you nuts!

The cable seemed a reasonable explanation so I disconnected it and found
no bent pins, but the connector was full of dust (somehow I hadn't noted
this when moving it between computers). I thought that might generate a
short but the problem was not immediately fixed upon reconnection, I
simply found it working again a few hours later.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/