Macintosh batteries (no physics)

Computer batteries for Macs may be difficult to obtain. In September
1995 I returned from an absence of nine months to my Mac LC and found
its battery dead. I did what any reasonable radio amateur would do. I
removed the battery from the computer and went down to my local computer
store to buy a new one. The store did not have that battery in stock,
which I thought was odd, since it was a Macintosh dealer. "Oh, the LC is
an old computer. We wouldn't stock tose batteries any more" they told
me! I was upset because in my experience batteries only wear out on old
computers.

I went home and started to do my searching by telephone, ranging as far
south as Seattle in my quest. I was told by a couple of the places I
called that the battery was only replaceable at an authorized Macintosh
dealer, and that I couldn't buy one without paying to have it installed!

All this happened on a weekend, so on that Monday I went to my friendly
university computer store and told the friendly tech there my problem.
He confirmed the policy I had been told about, affirmed that he could
not sell me a battery for my Mac, but after a rummaging about for a
short while he placed a battery on his benchtop and excused himself to
go to the washroom. It was clear that he did not expect to see me or
the battery when he returned.

Parts and labor cost: $0.00

Leigh