Re: Solution: gas particle distribution problem

At 15:21 7/11/00 -0400, David Bowman wrote:
I gather that since no one (other than bc with his comment about the
scattering of sunlight by atmospheric density fluctuations) has responded
yet to my problem involving the distribution of a macroscopic number of
ideal gas particles in a container, none of the PHYS-L readership may
have wanted to concern themselves with it for whatever reasons.
David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu

In my case, the reason is easy to discover: David's math grasp is so much
better that I have to treat many of his notes as a cultural flowering to
be appreciated like a great opera in Italian (a language I do not speak).

Here I am doubly humbled: I don't expect to be able to work a Bowman
problem, but at least (I flatter my very modest powers) I can hope to
classify the problem into an appropriate context.

Wrong again! I saw only a sphere stacking problem - and I seemed to recall
that although worthy packing optimizations have been found for various
packing units, these solutions were explicitly not the best possible,
merely best to date.
Nevertheless, David offers an analytical solution.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!