Re: counts in an interval

Hi all-
Now that John has convinced (most of) you that it is better
to have periodic buses than random ones -
I am just reading <Reasoning About Luck> by Ambegaokar
(Cornell Physics), which purports to be a layman's read about
probability in physics. I particularly enjoyed the discussion of
world series' stats.
I doubt that most lay readers will make it much beyond
chapter 4, but I do recommend the book for those who want to teach
a non-calculus introduction to thermo and statistical mechanics.
I particularly liked the discussions on "approach to equilibrium"
and fluctuations. I don't believe that these important concepts
get much attention in the usual non-calculus courses.
That's my book review for this epoch.
Regards,
Jack

Adam was by constitution and proclivity a scientist; I was the same, and
we loved to call ourselves by that great name...Our first memorable
scientific discovery was the law that water and like fluids run downhill,
not up.
Mark Twain, <Extract from Eve's Autobiography>