Creative back-of-the-chapter physics problems

At 2:24 PM -0700 7/6/00, Rick Tarara wrote:

To be sure, recent survey's of working physicists rate 'Real-World' problem
solving skills as the number one required skill and group interaction skills
are also way up there. Writing and speaking skills are also ranked well
above 'Physics Knowledge', but it is also quite logical that one cannot
really succeed without the knowledge component. However, solving
back-of-chapter problems doesn't make the list at all! ;-)

I have always lamented the lack of creative, interesting back-of-chapter
problems in modern textbooks. I treasure a little book I have by Brian
Pippard. It is a collection of his problems* which have appeared on the
Physics tripos at Cambridge. I use these problems, usually as lecture
topics, to spice up my courses. I don't assign them as problems because
today's students would not work hard enough on them to solve them, given
other problems on the set which are much more easily done. When I get
creative on a classroom exam I catch hell from them, but I have used my
own creative problems on take home exams I've given.

Does anyone wish to share other collections of creative problems?

Leigh

"The Cambridge Problems in Classical Physics", I believe.