Re: Plucked strings

Mark, you wrote:

I can immediately think of a counter-example - two identical sine waves
which cancel if the phase differs by pi - so you certainly hear the effect,
but I'm not sure if this is within the scope of the claim.

When I read that, I agreed with what you wrote but there was a niggle at the
back of my mind; I have seen (heard) some demonstrations of this law of Ohm and
certainly I couldn't distinguish any phase effect.

Later, the thought occurred to me that it wasn't a counter-example but an
extreme case where the intensity of the sound goes to zero. When the phase
difference is a little off pi you would "hear" the same sound as for say, a zero
phase difference but it would be much softer; as the phase difference approached
pi, the sound would become fainter and fainter.

Brian McInnes