Re: Waves on a slightly dispersive cable

At 11:28 PM 7/3/00 +0200, Mark Sylvester wrote:
A few years ago I was hiking in the Alps. At a refuge where we spent the
night there was a very long steel cable for hauling goods up from the
valley. It was a single span, goodness knows how long. I couldn't resist
whacking it with a piece of firewood from a stack nearby. The pulse came
back from the valley after what seemed like a very long time. The
interesting part is that for a few seconds before the main pulse arrived
the cable sang with high frequency noise.

Cool. Very cool.