Re: Plucked strings

At 09:11 AM 7/5/00 -0700, Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese wrote:
William Beaty wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, David Abineri wrote:
>
> > Am I correct in explaining string instruments, to say that a string
> > actually vibrates in many modes simultaneously when bowed or plucked?
> > That is, is it producing its fundamental along with several harmonics
> > all at the same time?
>
> Yes, but the phase of the various frequencies is important, with the
> --------------- cut

This last line caught my eye - I can't find the original post, and it's not
clear to me who is being quoted - apologies.

I have heard more than once that although the phase of the component
frequencies has a profound effect on the waveform they produce, the sound
that you hear is not so affected. The family of waveforms produce by
varying the phase all sound the same because the brain/ear does not
distinguish phase. Is this true?

I can immediately think of a counter-example - two identical sine waves
which cancel if the phase differs by pi - so you certainly hear the effect,
but I'm not sure if this is within the scope of the claim.

Mark