Re: Where Have All the Boys Gone?

Howdy-

Several people have complained about trying to get a college position as a
male. I really have no data to consider, and so I have no comment about
that.

However, if you love teaching, consider teaching high school. I had no
problem finding a high school position. I am a white male, and yet I had a
trivial time finding a job. I get recruitment info every couple of months
from other institutions and a headhunter I signed up with before I found
my current position.

Why? Well, the ball bounces both ways. It is becoming clear that high
school students need male role models in the same way that college
students need more female role models. My first principal actually
turned me in to the government as an affirmative action hire. (I was also
the only applicant to the job who had any science courses.)

Have I had some negative experiences due to my gender? Sure. I have
undergone what might be considered sexual harrassment (discussion of
sexual situations that demean or demoralize), but I was unwilling to
complain, and I probably got what I deserved.

While there are more males in high school science than in other high
school disciplines, we are still the minority in general. Many high
schools are looking for a few good men.

-----
Marc Kossover
marck9@mail.idt.net