Re: Where Have All the Boys Gone?

And Doug, have you thought about stock brokering? I'm told that a PhD
in physics is wonderful preparation for that profession. But I'm glad
I didn't have to make that choice.

I'm a far way from having left physics behind (or else I wouldn't be
here), I've simply tired of pursuing academia. My company is still
growing and already provides a few opportunities. For example, in my
"spare" time I'm revamping my personal web pages that have been so
popular and am moving them into DC Tech as "DC Physics" (see my
.signature below). Also, my research was in "industrial" physics and
was pointing to products that have still not appeared. All going well,
over the next couple of years DC Tech should be able to do some serious
R&D in those areas.

As for being a 'star' (a few posts have made such references to my list
of achievements), I only intended to summarize why I had been confident
in spite of knowing what a bad job market I was in. My list contains
items that many people on hiring and granting committees (and presumably
many here on PHYS-L) see very differently than I did - particularly the
speed at which I did my degree and the choice to skip over post-doctoral
work. Again, the whole gender thing was only one of the factors in my
case. Most new physics faculty are still male, so I couldn't possibly
put all the blame on gender issues.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/