Re: linear motion encoder

PROGRESS REPORT 2

Mike Moloney wrote:

... The resolution of the encoders is outstanding -
much better than sonic rangers. ...

That is what we are going to try this afternoon. The
reason the a(t), from a sonic motion detector, is not
great is that it is calculated as the second derivative
of what the probe is measuring. We found that it is
better to push the cart not too strongly (maximum F
of up to about 1.5 N for a pulse lasting about one
second) in oreder not to suffer too much from random
fluctuations in a(t). Under such conditions the mean
F/a ratio does not differ from the known mass by more
than 5% or so. We will see what the "smart pulley" and
the "rotary motion" probes will show after the lunch.
Ludwik Kowalski