Re: Newton's Second Law

PROGRESS REPORT 1

We eliminated the "dynamical" accelerometer
and measured the a(t) with the motion detector.
Works great too!

The forcemeter is stationary. A very thin
thread, about 1 m long, is attached to it.
The other end of this thread is attached
to a rubber band which is attached to a
cart. The cart can roll (with minimal
friction) along a flat surface toward the
motion detection probe. We measure F(t)
and d(t) 40 times per second; a(t) is
calulated from distances.

The mass of the cart was 745 grams, the
maximum force 5 N. The slope of the F=f(a)
curve is very close to m. Work is in
progress. I am doing this with two high
school teachers; John Gastineau is
directing us. We want to explore several
methods of measuring accelerations and
see which one is the best. Perhaps this
will be turned into a TPT note. It seems
to be a good topic for student project.

Work in progress, Ludwik Kowalski

I enjoyed the comments made by Ludwik Kowalski and John Denker
relative
to my original question about N2.

I am sure that the graphs of F and a that Ludwik saw were great BUT
I am
always trying to look at such graphs from the beginning student's
point
of view, someone who has just seen N2 and is beginning to grapple
with
its implications.

I see two concerns from this point of view. The first was mentioned
by
John is that an accelerometer of this type is using N2 to measure
acceleration so we have circular logic. The second is that an
accelerometer must have very little meaning to a beginning student.
would much rather that a beginner see a plot of v vs t and
understand
that a is the slope. I think we have to be cautious about using
equipment that tends to hide the fundamental quantities that we want
beginners to understand well.

Certainly measuring the force directly is an advantage in N2 but my
original question was posed because an air track cannot support a
force
sensor (not the ones we have anyway) and so I was looking for other
ways
to establish the force.

Thanks for all the great comments on this topic. Dave Abineri

--
David Abineri dabineri@choice.net