Re: Extra Credit (was Where Have All the Boys Gone?)

I'd like to ask something about this "extra credit" discussion. At the
same time, I'd like to keep the posts within the same subject header
(Extra Credit seems good to me).

I understand and agree with Michael Edmiston's point because I think I
agree with his course and grading objectives. I'd appreciate it if all
posters could be more *explicit* about their course and grading
objectives though so I can see the relationship between their use of extra
credit and the purpose.

I see two separate purposes of course assignments. One is to require that
students do some work and then grade them according to the amount of work
they do (see John Cooper's reference to "grades as wages" below). Another
purpose is to assess crucial competencies that students should have to
pass the course. Are there others? In any event, each poster should
indicate their purpose for the work.

Once the purpose is determined, what then is the purpose of the extra
credit? Is it to provide additional opportunities to earn "grades as
wages"? Is it to gives students additional opportunities to demonstrate
mastery of course competencies? Is it to provide movitation for such
mastery? In the attempt to provide motivation, is it just serving to pass
those who haven't mastered the course objectives?

If the extra credit assesses something *different* than the original
mandatory assignments then this implies that completion of the extra
credit does *not* demonstrate achievement of the original (presumably more
important) course objectives.

If, on the other hand, the extra credit assesses *the same thing* as the
original mandatory assignments, then I would call that "replacement"
credit, not extra credit. The replacement credit just provides students
with an alternate avenue for demonstrating mastery of the objectives. Even
if the grades just represent the amount of work done (i.e., "grades as
wages"), extra credit should be called "replacement" credit.

Finally, I'd appreciate it if posters would indicate what their grades
indicate (i.e., what does an A represent, a B represent, etc.).

Thanks.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |