Re: Waves

Electromagnetic "whistlers" do the same, as the spike-impulses of lightning
strikes are
spread out as they are ducted across long distances through the Earth's
magnetosphere.

William, you bring back memories from the long ago and far away.

in 1958, the International Geophysical Year, I was a raw young physicist working
with a party of 20 (all Australian males) on the sub-antarctic base of Macquarie
Island (among many millions penguins and tens of thousands of seals). My work
involved running a meson cosmic-ray telescope for the University of Tasmania, a
Dobson Ozone spectrophotometer for CSIRO Atmospheric Physics - this gave the
first set of pre-ozone depletion readings from this most pertinent region - and
a whistler / very-low-frequency-emission recorder run by the University of
Queensland for Stanford University.
42 years ago and so much of it seems like yesterday.
Brian mcInnes