Re: Technology <--> physics

On the other hand one could also observe that physics itself
has become less mechanical and more relient on electronics and
computation. This could (speculation here) be one reason why women
feel less intimidated by physics research or find it more welcoming.
If that is the case, then the gender shifts that we are seeing are
just a natural consequence these changes, and should not be viewed
with alarm or pointed to with pride. Enough!

I think that women refrain(ed) from the sciences not so much because they
are intimidated by the research or subject matter but for the same reason
that made men (and probably still makes them) refrain from becoming...
ballet dancers, for example. Society dictates that you are called a "tomboy"
if you develop an interest in science, among other things, which is similar
to what young men face when they choose to be something that is
traditionally considered a women's field.

Women are increasingly entering scientific fields because the pressure has
weakened--but not completely. I go to a women's college, and it is all about
the empowerment of women. Naturally, working towards being a scientist in my
school, I get a lot of support. My classes are made up of 99% women and the
science professors are used to dealing with female students. That encourages
many women to consider careers in science. That does not mean, however, that
telling people that I'm going for a PhD in astrophysics is like telling them
that I am getting a PhD in English Literature. (I think one of the most
attractive aspects of being an astrophysics major is the shock value itself,
but that's beyond the point.)

Also, the mostly-male science and math classes still exist at other
universities. The one class that I am taking at another university,
Differential Equations, is made up of 24 men and 6 women. In this class, the
men don't seem to be the victims--no one is, although the girls are much
more quite. I was planning to take an artificial intelligence course also at
another university, and that was mostly males too.

I believe that without the effort put into encouraging women to speak up,
act up, and believe in themselves by women's institutions and organizations,
and the strong movement to empower women, the increase in the number of
women working towards careers in the sciences would be much lower (compare,
for example, the United States, where I am studying, and my country, where
there is no such thing as a women's movement or women's empowerment. The
Unites States has a number of women scientists, the United Arab Emirates has
none.). I don't see why this improvement should be alarming to young
men--those young women are neither going to bully them nor take their jobs
away (granted they work as hard as the young women!). The movement that took
place in favor of the women does not aim to remove men from the classroom,
rather it has always been to establish equality.

If women were afraid, it was not the mechanics that scared them, it was
society's attitude. Now they are learning to believe in themselves and no
amount of mechanics in any science will stop the determined young women
scientists, like Lisa on this newsgroup. If our young men here are
"languishing," they should learn not to be afraid of strong women.

Shatha Al-Muttawa
Young Girl Writers
http://younggirlwriters.isCool.net/