Re: gibbs phenomenon

At 18:48 6/25/00 +0800, you wrote:
Hi PhysList-ers,

We have gibbs oscillations due to , for eg. , poor convergence
of fourier terms at discontinuities in a square wave; we also see
overshoots/undershoots in electrical networks due to impedance
mismatches; i am confused as to whether the two are related ?

would appreciate ur comments!

Jaya
infineon technologies,
Singapore

The return echoes visible when launching a square edged voltage wave
down a series of transmission lines of different characteristic impedance
is a consequence in the limit, of energy conservation in a low dissipation
medium.

You are not limited to synthesizing discontinuous waveforms by Fourier's
method. You would notice that synthesizing such wave forms with square waves,
using Walsh's method is much more satisfactory.
But wait!
There is a difficulty in synthesizing sine waves with square components.
i.e there is a certain symmetry of difficulties, depending on the properties
of the building bricks, and the desired shape of the edifice.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK