Re: Lecture Notes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Green" <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: Lecture Notes

Paul, I completely agree, but why would an oceanography professor say this
do you suppose. I admit that I don't know much about oceanography, but
before I tell this person that s/he doesn't know much about physics, I
would like to know if there is any basis at all for this statement. The
notes go on to say some other odd (read ridiculous) things, but I resist
using the phrase "hot air" to a professor at a school of oceanography in
this casae.

Other comments????

Jim,

I imagine this oceanography professor didn't learn or doesn't remember that
scientists should always avoid ambiguous language. I even know some
physicists who are not always careful to speak and write clearly and
unambiguously.

This chap was obviously thinking about the Earth-moon system revolving about
its CM and forgot that both bodies also rotate. His statements are loosely
correct for such a system.

Go easy on him.

Paul O. Johnson