Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999
From: E
Subject: 9th grade physics

Dear Fellow Modelers:

Today my principal handed me an article that appeared recently in the
New York Times entitled "Push to Reorder Sciences Puts Physics First."
This movement to teach conceptual physics in ninth grade is being advocated
by Leon Lederman, Nobel Prize-winning physicist. The movement is not big
yet. According to the article, about 100 schools have adopted the "physics
first" approach. Some of them are in the Chicago area.

I'm interested to know if any modelers have experience with this idea
and how it is working. If you don't have direct experience, I'm
interested in hearing your opinions.
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:57:08 EST
From: Fran

Hi, E,
I'm sure you'll hear from several of us on this topic. Here in Philadelphia
the push for 9th grade physics mentioned in the NYT article is motivated
primarily by the testing the superintendent imposed on the schools to judge
achievement levels. The test is the SAT-9, or Stanford Achievement Test,
9th Edition. In the Science section of the test, there are physics
questions. Since the test is administered to 11th graders, the schools
have suddenly found out that they have to teach physics before 11th grade.

------------------
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:52:57 -1000
From: C

----- HS requires four science credits for graduation, and a
"demonstration of scientific method" (Science Research project, e.g.) in
the graduation portfolio. In August 1993 we started requiring Physics of
all our freshmen; by then we had already been requiring Chemistry of all
sophomores; and biology of all juniors. The Grade 9 Physics class is taken
in the same Trimester as the student's math class (Algebra 1, Geometry, or
Algebra 2). Likewise the Chemistry class is taken in the same Trimester as
the student's math class (Geometry, Algebra 2, Algebra 3). The Biology
class is taken with Ethics (Religious Education). In their Senior year,
the students have a choice among the AP courses (Bio, Chem, Physics),
Biotechnology, Marine Science, Global Science.

... We find that the students learn scientific
skills, observing phenomena, asking questions, designing experiments,
collecting relevant data, analyzing and synthesizing - critical thinking;
they learn to quantify their results (they use the TI82/83 in their math
and science classes) and predict events. They also learn oral
communication skills. Overall, we are not unhappy with the results. But,
being scientists, we continue to explore other ideas. :-)

I like the Active Physics approach, and their activities are not the "usual"
physics activities. When I used the Sports module, our PE teacher got very
interested and actually made the students connect with ideas of physics in
his classes. Some of the activities are outdoor-sy, and we don't have the
space for them, so I modified some of them. This year, my own grade 9
class is on the "modeling" approach.