Re: grinding versus understanding

Interleaved below:

John Denker wrote:

At 02:46 PM 6/25/00 -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
Wasn't it one of the famous
physicists from early in the century who said something to the effect
of "you should know the answer before writing down the solution"?

I don't know if it was original with him, but Feynman said on innumerable
occasions that you don't really understand an equation unless you can look
at the equation and know the qualitative behavior of the solution, without
grinding out the exact solution.

-------------------------- cut

He didn't _need_ to make qualitative arguments -- he could grind out exact answers
faster than most people could state the question. A good example of what
I'm talking about appears in volume I of the _Lectures_, where he says the
electrodynamics of an atom is analogous to treating the electron as a
classical charged mass connected to the nucleus by a classical spring --
the atom is just a charged harmonic oscillator.

I thought this was the Drude-Lorentz model of a century ago

Now there is no elementary
reason to think that an atom is well described as a charged harmonic
oscillator.

This is not obvious to me -- depends on how well is well described. The semi-classical result is rather similar, again subjective.

So why did he choose that qualitative model? Because he knew
the exact answer, and he had carefully checked that such a model would
parallel the actual behavior.

Probably done by the late 20's

bc