Re: physics/pedagogy of coffee-mixing

At 03:53 PM 6/25/00 -0500, brian whatcott wrote:
>For any partition of quantities into two vessels other than exact halves,
>John's solution is wrong.
>
>A numerical example again:
>first cup 501 red balls, second cup 499 red balls, 1000 black balls.
> This represents two different mix ratios.

a) If this is supposed to be the initial state, it is
inconsistent with the statement of the problem I posed.
b) If this is supposed to be the intermediate state, the
analysis is incomplete and no conclusion can be drawn
from the numbers.
c) If this is supposed to be the final state, I don't see
any way it can arise that is consistent with the
statement of the problem I posed.
d) If Brian has a different problem in mind, it is only
natural that different problems have different solutions.

So, again, I stand by my solution the problem in question.

If anybody other than Brian thinks the possibility of inexact partitioning
is an important aspect of the problem I posed, please let me know.