Re: Physics of Coffee Cups

Oops, I assumed that both transfers were the same size.

Maurice Barnhill wrote:

This is a new problem for me also, so I looked at it
algebraically.
No assumptions are needed. Call the cups 1 (originally coffee)
and 2,
and the amount of coffee, which is the same as the amount of tea,
N.
Then after both transfers

1: c_1 + t_1 = N
2: c_2 + t_2 - N

However, the total amount of coffee and the total amount of tea is
also
N, so

3: c_1 + c_2 = N
4: t_1 + t_2 = N

(Equation 4 is not independent; it is eq. 1 + eq. 2 - eq. 3 .)

Subtract eq. 3 from eq. 1 and you have

t_1 - c_2 = 0

so the amount of tea in the first cup (t_1) is equal to the amount
of
coffee in the second cup (c_2). No information about the transfer
is
needed.

--
Maurice Barnhill (mvb@udel.edu)