Re: The McDonald's incident

Replying to several comments: I take the "another
lefty out there" comment as a compliment. Thank you.
Hugh is right - R is for responsibility (I thought it
was obvious). And Jack U. is right on the money
(IMHO). Why oh why have so many folks embraced the
right-wing anti-gov, pro-corp, states rights
positions? Maybe it's the same kind of "thinking" that
led 98 senators to vote for the Tonkin Gulf Resolution
back in '64?
Since we're well off the P track, how do recent
posters feel about the Microsoft case? Pre-Reagen,
tie-in sales (where you must buy product A in order to
get product B) were a CLEAR no-no. An example. Linde
Gases developed an outstanding process ("AOD") for
reducing carbon in stainless steels which used argon
and oxygen. AOD was by far the best and cheapest
process. But the AOD process license had to be
COMPLETELY separate from the sale of oxygen and argon.
This climate made Linde compete harder for both the
gases income and the license income. A clear win for
the customer! IMHO the exact opposite has been the
case in the history of software development and
marketing by MS.
--- Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV> wrote:
I enjoy the months that I spend today
without having any
interaction with lawyers. The only ones that I've
worked with whom I
really liked and respected were the ones in the
Public Defender's office.
Writers, ever since Plautus (~150 b.c.) have
made fun of the legal
profession (Shakespeare's "Let's kill all.." is
actually a tribute to
lawyers). So Rick's biases are certainly not
uncommon. And far be it
from me to try to argue anybody out of his/her pet
prejudices. A good
prejudice, after all, can be as comforting in time
of stress as a whole
evening with one's favorite bartender.
Also, a good, unfounded, prejudice is a lot
less trouble than a
well-taught course in civics.
Having said this, I comment on Rick's
posting as follows: