Re: The McDonald's incident

If an employee at McDs spills hot coffee on you and you are seriously
injured, then fine--sue. But if you spill the coffee on yourself (stupidly
trying to drink it in motion-- probably) then it is your fault! It's
something called 'personal responsibility', a concept that has been all but
lost in our litigation crazed society. Our foolishness and stupidity must
always be blamed on someone else. For these reasons the McDs case is quite
worthy of ridicule no matter how hot the coffee actually was.

If we were talking battery acid, I'd agree. Be careless with battery
acid and you get what you should have expected even if all the warning
labels have been lost. The words "battery acid" should conjure up that
kind of image. The word "coffee" does not conjure up images of serious
burns. Be careless with coffee and you expect a bit of stinging and a
dry cleaner bill. Being personally responsible requires a reasonably
consistent world. How can one be responsible if others can change the
rules without informing them?

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/