Re: The McDonald's incident

I have finally gotten the courage to respond after a long while as a silent
member of the list. My father-in-law is an attorney of the sort who would
file such a case. He gave a lecture for me at one time in which this case
among others was discussed. He said that McD corp. requires all of its
restaurants to store their coffee at about 20 degrees hotter than the FDA
has identified as "fit for human consumption". Why? Because they want to
be able to claim to serve the hottest coffee in town. Additionally, because
coffee that is too hot to drink is not refilled as much as coffee that is
reasonable to drink. The woman in question (who was a passenger and not the
driver, by the way) was in a parking space trying to open the lid to put in
cream and sugar. She didn't spill much, but received 3rd degree burns (as
was pointed out already in this list). McD had been sued over this same
issue hundreds of times and still required their coffee to be hotter than
humans can drink. As I recall, all this woman wanted was for McD to pay her
medical bills and they refused. The jury decided they should teach McD a
lesson.

On another note, there was a vaguely similar case a short time later where
someone was mildly burned by spilling Wendy's chili on themselves. That
case was dismissed as there were not any really severe injuries I believe.

Mariam Dittmann
Atlanta, GA