Re: Warnings concerning products {:-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Craigen" <dcc@ESCAPE.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: Warnings concerning products {:-)

There is a bit of physics in all this. As much as people *think* they
love their coffee as hot as they can get it, the fact is that boiling
water scalds.

But nobody drinks boiling coffee, Doug. For those of us who like our coffee
HOT, McDonalds is the place to go.

I drink my coffee straight --- no milk or sugar. Our Mr. Coffee at home
keeps it fairly hot after it's brewed, but pouring it into a
room-temperature mug cools it too much. So I routinely zap it in the
microwave oven at high power for 20 seconds. That essentially warms the mug
up to the original coffee temperature. Its average temp while I'm sipping it
remains pleasantly hot.

In the roughly 45 years I've been drinking hot coffee, I've never spilled it
on me. Those who do spill it on them should bear the consequences of their
own carelessness.

Paul O. Johnson