Re: Electrostatics demo from AS&S

A couple of years ago I wrote up the neon glower as one of the make &
take lab activities for the NSF sponsored RECET program at the
University of Virginia. Leaving out the educational padding, this might
be useful. I will try to post the diagrams, etc. when I clean up class
website these next two weeks.

Equipment and materials:
Fuji clear film canister (free upon request at most photography
stores or film development centers)
We have had success at Sprint Photo, Wal-Mart, and
several local photography stores.
Neon glower (Radio Shack #272-1102 or 272-1101 $0.35)
(Try Mouser part 606 A1A or 606 A1B)
Aluminum foil
Super glue
Static electricity source (Silk and Teflon rod, Fur and Ebonite,
etc)

Construction of Neon firefly
Using a pencil or any sharp point object, drill two small holes
in the film canister. One hole should be in the center of the lid and
the other in the center of the bottom. Take the Neon glower and place
it in the film canister so that one lead extends approximately 1 cm
through the bottom hole. Thread the other lead through the lid and
close the film canister. Cut two rectangular pieces of aluminum foil
which are 3 cm by 6 cm. Place one piece on the top so that the lead
pokes through one half of the foil. Glue the aluminum foil to the lid of
the canister. Bend the lead down so that it touches the aluminum foil
and fold the aluminum foil over so that the foil covers the lead and the
lid. Glue the foil in place. Trim the excess foil from the lid so that
a double layer of aluminum foil covers the top. Place the other piece on
the bottom so that the lead pokes through one half of the foil. Glue the
aluminum foil to the bottom of the canister. Bend the lead down so that
it touches the aluminum foil and fold the aluminum foil over so that the
foil covers the lead and the bottom. Glue the foil in place. Trim the
excess foil from the bottom so that a double layer of aluminum foil
covers it.

Activities:
1) Using Teflon and silk, strike the silk with the Teflon rod.
Place the silk on one end of the firefly and the Teflon rod on the other
end. You should see a quick discharge of the firefly.
2) Walking across a carpet on a dry day, extend the firefly
towards metal object such as doorknob or faucet. The firefly will give
a rapid flash.
3) Using a static electricity generator such as a Wimshurst
machine (or a Van de Graaff generator), place the firefly between, but
not touching the electrodes. The firefly should exhibit a steady glow.
4) Using a static electricity generator such as a Wimshurst
machine (or a Van de Graaff generator), place the firefly between the
electrodes while touching one electrode. The firefly should exhibit a
series of flashes, as there is a discharge from electrode to electrode.
5) Make a series of fireflies and see whether all of them will
glow or flash in the setups as in #3 and #4.

THO

Thomas O'Neill
o'neill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
Physics