Re: Physics for a blind student

I have taught at least one student who was completely blind. You need
to make sure that the student has a voice synthesizer so that the
machine can read homework assignements and tests to the student. Also,
you will have to become an expert at explaining your force diagrams and
your graphs in words. Fortunately, the student I taught was a
mathematics major and understood the idea of graphing, etc.

Another component of the course that presents a problem for the blind
is the laboratory. You might try to find a lab partner for your blind
student that is good at describing the set-up, circuit, or whatever in
words. In exchange for this, you might give the group of students
doing the lab a little more time to complete the exercise if the
schedule permits.

In short, it can work if the student and the professor are determined
to make it work.
WBN

Barlow Newbolt
Professor of Physics
Washington and Lee University
e-mail: newboltw@wlu.edu
telephone: 540-463-8881
fax: 540-463-8884
Office: Howe 218

"Had I been present at the creation, I would have given
some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe."

Alphonso X, Learned King of Spain (1252 - 1284)